Lost Luggage Studios, LLC - Software Policies
This is our plain-English software policy, just a little insight into how we run things around here.
Software Policies, Procedures, and Philosophy
I honestly didn't know where else to put this information, but after receiving a few hints and disturbing comments, I decided to spell this stuff out explicitly too:
- Bugs: We do our best to track down and fix every bug we come across. We never knowingly package and distribute a piece of software with any deficiencies. Sometimes these bugs are caused by things we did not foresee, sometimes by changes in other software (like Windows, the .Net Framework, and other libraries and tools we interface with), and sometimes yes we do make mistakes. Please report anything odd you find to us and we will do our best to fix it and/or provide a method to work around the issue.
- Crapware: Our software installers are packaged by Jamie and never include any additional software. The installation procedure installs just the piece of software you downloaded and never anything else. If you downloaded a piece of our software from some other random downloads site and find that they repackaged it with other software / toolbars / browsers / crapware / malware / etc, please notify us immediately so we can do what we can to remove our software from their site.
- Viruses and Malware: Jamie builds and packages our software on a computer that is routinely scanned for viruses. It's as safe as could be. He hasn't had a virus on any of his computers since about 1993. He knows how to stay safe, and scans often with programs like Windows Defender, Avast, AVG, and more. He switches AV every few years on his only Windows machine, just to maintain that paranoia. If you ever find a virus in one of our programs, it's most likely because you did not download it directly from us.
- Nobody has the right to sell our software but us. I think that warranted bold text... for the software we sell, you can only purchase it through this site, directly from us. For the software we distribute for free, only donations made through PayPal buttons on this website will actually make it to us. Any external site selling our software should be reported to the authorities immediately. They are stealing money from both of us.
- Automatic Updates: Jamie is currently testing a new system for our software that will allow each program to find updates, and make it easier to get and install new versions. This system does not and will not automatically upgrade the software on its own. It merely notifies you that there is a new version, and guides you through the process of upgrading if and when you choose. Jamie really hates software that updates itself (he's looking at you Dropbox and Windows 10). Users should have the choice, and control over their machines.